Frequently Asked Questions:
What is Greencorps Chicago?
Greencorps Chicago is the City of Chicago’s paid green-industry job training program focused on horticulture, landscaping, ecological restoration, and tree care. Training takes place in the classroom and on field projects.
Where is Greencorps Chicago located?
Greencorps Chicago is located on the second floor of the Chicago Center for Green Technology located at:
What are the requirements to enter the program?
• At least 18 years of age
• City of Chicago resident
• Pass initial and random drug screenings
• Able to meet physical requirements of the work
• Able to work Tuesday-Friday, 7am-4pm, occasional Saturdays
• This program is background friendly
How do you apply for the Greencorps Chicago program?
Interested applicants must register for an Open House to be eligible to apply.
There are two ways to register for an Open House:
1. Contact Greencorps Chicago (312.746.9777) anytime to be put on our wait list. Once our Open Houses have been scheduled, we will call you back to register you.
2. An interested applicant may also contact a referring agency and request a referral from that agency. The referral agency should contact Greencorps Chicago with the name and contact information of the individual expressing interest in the program.
After attending an Open House, interested individuals may then apply to the program.
What documents are required to enter the Greencorps Chicago program?
All applicants will need to provide the following documents:
• Valid Photo Identification (State ID/ Driver’s License)
• Social Security Card
• Proof of City of Chicago Residency (signed leased, official letter, etc).
• Birth Certificate
• Referral Letter/ Letter of Recommendation
When does the program begin?
The program will begin in mid-March. Applicants must begin by contacting Greencorps to attend an open house. All steps are imperative in order to be considered for the program.
Can I simply show-up to an Open House?
No. All applicants will be assigned to an open house date and time. The open house is by invitation only.
What are the professional licenses and certifications offered in the Greencorps Chicago program?
The training program many have some variation each year. In this green-industry, the work experience offered in the program is just as, if not, more important to an individual’s future success than the certificates.
Traditionally, the following are offered each year:
• Defensive Driving
• 40-hr HazWoper
• 10-hr OSHA Safety Standards
• First Aid/ CPR
• Illinois Pesticide License
• Midwest Prescription Burn Class
What are the work hours of the program?
Trainees work approximately 30 hours per week. All applicants must have open availability for Tuesday through Friday and occasional Saturdays from 7:00 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Do I need a high school diploma to enter the program?
Greencorps Chicago does not require a certain educational level to enter the program. However, we strongly encourage trainees to advance in all areas while in the program.
I have already received training and certifications in one of the training areas; do I still need to participate in that portion of training?
All trainees must complete all training areas throughout the program year despite whether a trainee has previous experience or training in a particular area.